WWin 10 usb 2 3 greyed out new Virtualbox Install Fix

darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

WWin 10 usb 2 3 greyed out new Virtualbox Install Fix

Post by darknkreepy3# »

So I thought, wait, VMWare Workstation and Player for Windows could easily support the different chipsets I have mixed on many systems, and sure enough... nope. Intel and ASMEdia are not supported for USB 3, but something strange a LaCie external usb3 drive showed up. Strange things, licensing between drivers, who pays or plays for what, and who is probably told "don't let them interfere with our chipset dominance" etc...

Oracle VM VirtualBox . WIndows 10 x64 1809 release. No support for so many things at first. Then I thought, wait, there must be... yes?

Yes, VirtualBox Guest Additions you can just mount in the top menu for the machine is the first step...

Devices > Inset Guest Additions CD Image > and then run it.
Voila, reboot. Still... no support for USB3.

So what now? Scouring online, I found support for USB2 and USB3 on the project's site
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.4.vbox-extpack
After virtualbox is installed you can just download and in your host run this, and there you go.

Things to remember
1. turn off the virtual machine before you add this
2. you still have to go to the bottom and choose the USB icon and the drive you want to use
3. (host BIOS) remember to xHCI on for USB3, some motherboard will have on, auto, or smart auto. smart auto works easily.
4. (host BIOS) try to turn off oHCI if your motherboard can

Now you can mount a real drive, JBMicron was my controller in a cheap-o $9 adapter usb3 kit for an old 500-1000gb laptop drive laying around. works quite well actually.

VMWare Workstation, as you can see if purposefully not allowing or writing any extensions and compatibility for other chipsets, I thought it was a technical logical issue, but alas just a business or marketing decision as the same host box can do it in VM Virtualbox, same win10 x65 1809 version, same chipset and port for the same external enclosure.