verizon email with aol and thunderbird win10 fix

darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

verizon email with aol and thunderbird win10 fix

Post by darknkreepy3# »

So, this is incredibly buggy and complicated. If you have a complex setup for email like I do, I will explain in a moment. For now I will explain how to fix a bug that cannot be fixed by writing in the proper information if you already have one or more verizon email accounts connected to aol, since verizon got rid of their email servers and rely on aol now.

[jump down past this to complex setup if you have a different hard drive or location and or multiple pcs reading the same thunderbird data]

If you have a folder like I do, say
C:\emails
C:\emails\verizon_john
C:\emails\verizon_thegamer

you will have inbox, drafts, trash, spam etc in subfolders in there when thunderbird points to those places.
Here's the giant problem, sometimes the flags in AOL's authentication go wacky due to a walmare hit on your pc, or something just wrong with the tcp ip, or a firewall bug, and in my case a DNS resolution from 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 cloudflare to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 google made it so I could at least see aol.com it was completely blocked and it was the dns, no flushdns or reset tcpip worked at all.

Then I noticed the incoming mail still was stagnate and I couldn't figure it out. Here is the volatile way to fix it and lose all your emails on your folders:
1. go into account settings and delete your verizon email accounts and data / settings (very volatile, don't do this way unless you HAVE to)
2. uninstall thunderbird
3. download the newest 11/30/2022 is version 105.1 https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
4. download ccleaner and clean your os, and then the registry as well... https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download
5. go to aol and your mail via the web, a browser https://login.aol.com/?src=mail
6. in your aol email page, click on your name on the top right side of the interface
7. go to account security on the left hand side
8. Generate and manage app passwords
9. give the app a name, [like tb2022] for thunderbird 2022 or [11-30-2022 thunderbird] etc
10. copy the 16 character code, and paste it into a new text file with your verizon email, then the code, then the date for your memory
11. save this as something like _remember.txt never pw.txt etc. it's up to you

POP3
12. open the new thunderbird, and create the verizon account again and thunderbird should help
13. choose pop3 if you like for mail to store locally on your pc, great idea when the web is down and you need to look something up
14. now in TOOLS > ACCOUNT SETTINGS open up your accounts
15. choose SERVER SETTINGS for your mail and find message storage [local directory]
16. maybe choose as I wrote above c:\emails\verizon_john or whatever you like for each verizon account one at a time
17. server settings -> server name:pop.verizon.net
18. server settings -> user name [johnisacoolguy] NOT [johnisacoolguy@verizon.net] (it works just don't do it for simplicity's sake)
19. server settings -> check forr new messages at startup, check for new messages every [1] minute is better than [10]

STMP

20. now go to outgoing server (SMTP) and choose the server that thunderbird auto made.
21. important, description if you have TWO or more verizon accounts... NAME it!
22. account one in this case, [verizon john] and maybe [verizon_thegamer] if you add another account. you will see why nest.
23. server name: smtp.verizon.net
24. port: 465
25. security and authentication -> connection security [ssl/tts]
26. authentication method -> normal password
27. user name: [john] and if you make another email account to pull mail off of aol for the gamer, this will be [the_gamer]

each email needs it's own smtp server entry with aol and verizon, it can't share.

[try it out]
a pop up window should come up and it says AOL on it, put this account, [john@verizon.net] in the name and then your password
it should now work. it will not if you don't remove the accounts and add them, I did it and something stuck in the registry for account #2.
---------
[complex setup]
I keep my email on a pc I never really turn off. call if COMP_B.
In COMP_B I have a folder on an SSD for speed, D:\EMAIL
on COMP_A nothing worked, no reinstalls, nothing at all, so I just deleted the accounts in the thunderbird interface.
I then uninstalled thunderbird
I reinstalled the newest version.
I added all accounts I needed to
added those AOL generated passwords per account I listed above how to do
I then pointed to:
\\COMP_B\D\EMAIL\VERIZON\JOHN for the john account
this is done in the tools > account settings > [your email account you are fixing] > server settings > local directory [BROWSE]

make sure not to select a sub directory of the mail folder you have had for a long time, that messes things up alot
it's hard to mix [inbox] and [inbox] at that point with a messed up directory but maybe rename one of them?

I have many email accounts from many companies... so...
D:\EMAIL\VERIZON\JOHN
D:\EMAIL\VERIZON\THE_GAMER
D:\EMAIL\GMAIL\JOHN
D:\EMAIL\GMAIL\MR_FIXER_MAN
D:\EMAIL\WEBSITENAME\INFO

So you can see 2 verizon accounts, two gmail accounts and one with a connection to godaddy like web host with info@websitename.com

I have a workstation pc COMP_A
I have two laptops LAPPY_A LAPPY_B

I use windows networking to go to each of these systems and aim at COMP_B for email so it all loads there and there is no redundancy
sometimes if I accidentally open the email client on the COMP_B system, it pulls duplicates down
using REMOVE_DUPLICATES plugin solves that, right click the top of all accounts, and remove duplicates and choose FIRST COPY > OK

Now for the hard part.
COMP_B pulled both verizon accounts fine, with the new XCBV FHGJ RIOT WOER 16 character code for each account

IMPORTANT NOTE:
do not make a new account and put in the verizon info if you have missed most of your email for a day or a few days
it will load into some super long subfolder on the user account appdata of windows... you could do this if you HAD to
memorize by maybe copying that address to a text file and keep it open
make a new subfolder and call it _FIXINGIT in your email user in the thunderbird interface, right click to do that
move all your email the new account gobbles up into that
point to the correct hard drive or computer and hard drive with folder
close and open thunderbird
it should show all your older emails on this more complex years long folder system you have and nothing is lost.
you can also now get that LONG original folder location and COPY and PASTE that _FIXINGIT file (data wad) into your new location
open thunderbird you should see _FIXINGIT in the account listed. open it, move all the emails to INBOX
then you can right click and delete that _FIXINGIT folder, killing the file on the drive

you can also go back to that originally super long location and now delete that _FIXINGIT too to save space if you just downloaded 5000 emails
don't keep 5000 emails on verizon's server, just don't. keep it local after it's 3-6 months old if you can