samsung 10.1 sgh-t859 update to 5.1.1 or 6.0

darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

samsung 10.1 sgh-t859 update to 5.1.1 or 6.0

Post by darknkreepy3# »

After a lot of confusion and problem solving, it has come to my attention that the processor in the 2011 device is not supported by most programs out there in 2020. I installed with tons of learning mistakes 5.1.1 and 7.1.2 then back to 5.1.1 and finally 6.0.

It is really, really slow. It works, but it is incredibly slow. On 6.0 I noticed that you have to press the keyboard icon when the OS starts so you can even input data at first (one time only). Also, programs like Chrome and Facebook just open and close without support. No reason, nothing to see. Just pop. On. Off. Back to the desktop icons.

So, I tried different installers, settled with Odin v3.12.3 and using the following bootloaders and recovery files I found that work:

Samsung Model # sgh-t859
odin v3.12.3
bootloader.tar.md5 1891kb
moderm.tar.md5 12,291kb
recovery.tar.md5 4,861kb
aosp-6.0-p4tmo-20160809.zip 194,867kb
and the cm-10-20130825-UNOFFICIAL-p4tmo.zip which I did NOT use

I found the bootloader, modem, recovery and (unused)cm at this addy 01-29-2020
http://droidbasement.com/galaxy/roms/cm10/p4tmo/

[aosp-6.0-p4tmo-20160809.zip 194,867kb]
the marshmallow 6.0 for the p4tmo (t-mobile) was here in a link on the page
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy ... w-t3266663

[initial step] I went into the settings of the very old 3.x android area, looked for [ABOUT PHONE] nested in the menus of settings and did the press 7 times to enter developer mode, and voila, pressed BACK and developer mode was available. Went into there and ENABLE USB DEBUGGING. Then I could proceed with the rest of the steps. Or really, begin this endless process.

I followed all the erasing steps, got lost, tried again, went to twrp instead and like it the most

twrp311-20171009-p4tmo.tar.md5 21,161kb
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617937600

made sure the tablet was off, holding down the power button.
turned it on by holding the power button and volume down which is the one next to the power
pressed it again to go into download mode
pressed up which is the further volume botton not next to power, to continue
then connected the usb cable to my usb 2.0 port, tried a few, sometimes ports in groups have different chipsets
usb hubs did not work, they seem to muddle to connection data
opened the ODIN program

CSC (Consumer Software Customization): It is specific to geographical region and carriers. It contains the software packages specific to that region, carrier branding and APN setting.
PIT (Partition Information Table): You only need it if you screw up your partition table or if the firmware specifically requires it because of a change in the partition table layout.
BL (Bootloader): As its name implies, this option is used to flash the Bootloader of the device.
AP (Application Processor or PDA): Android.
CP (Core Processor): We call it Modem.
chose the bootloader and uploaded it to the tablet (PRESS BL button and find your md5 file you downloaded)
it restarted, and i made sure to hold power and vol down to get into download more
chose the recovery and put that in the AP abd did the same thing, load and restart
chose the modem CP and uploaded that file as well and restarted
chose the TWRP and uploaded that with the AP button and restarted NOW into TWRP mode (see below)

TWRP is found in this tablet after we did this stuff with POWER ON + VOL DOWN, then VOL UP one time to choose the other icon, the android icon robot, then VOL DOWN.

then I erased the areas it asks you to in the tutorials, wiped it, all but the storage itself on the tablet.
then I installed the following in order, then cleared cache when asked each time before the next ZIP

aosp-6.0-p4tmo-20160809.zip (and clean cache when asked)
open_gapps-arm-6.0-nano-20200129.zip (and clean cache when asked)
SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip (and clean cache when asked)
Magisk-v20.3.zip (and clean cache when asked)

*REBOOT*
remember to unplug the usb, seems to hold it up if you don't
100-200 apps have to register, so wait 5-10 minutes with this at the android logo screen
remember to press the keyboard icon on the bottom right to gain access to type things in
don't forget chrome and facebook are too modern in 2020 for this 2011 device and will open and close without cause
instead use facebook lite and opera mini
youtube works fine, just slow