seagate 4tb sata drive win8 will not boot exfat protected

darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

seagate 4tb sata drive win8 will not boot exfat protected

Post by darknkreepy3# »

A friend of mine simply formatted a partition made by seagate, which had special install software as well like a usb key. He left it as exFAT, but a strange funky version where after moving files and rebooting, his 2013 series motherboard with AMD and my 2013 series motherboard with INTEL completely froze. Something strange.

1. The USB3 enclosure I used with the 4tb sata drive was also from seagate. This defined the drive with win8 as a protected drive and no letters could be assigned. I used R-STUDIO and did a quick retrieval of the data starting at sector 2048 with an NTFS only search. All the files could be found, and I quit the scan after 3 minutes, checking a jpg as a preview, no corruption.

2. something on the drive partition itself was quirky from one pc to another. I popped into 10.8 ML and tried to look at the partition. It came up as 0xEE, undefined, or exFAT. No way would 10.8 read this.

3. Into another pc with hot swap tray and UEFI sata ports set to "hot swap on" etc, and no good, would not boot. Keeping it unplugged until win8 sign on and THEN popping it in "hot swap" was fine. no problems. Data there, and then iostore.exe or something wanted to run. no. All the folders and data were intact.

4. My friend took it back and I recommended for him to turn on UEFI hot swapping, turn on the pc and then in the logon attach the sata drive. Move the data back to the old drive, then delete the partition and make a new partition scheme of two partitions. I usually like to break up the largest current drive into two partitions for that year (4tb for 2013, 2tb each x partitions total, really 3.83tb / 2). Then format each partition as NTFS and call them:

data1 (3.83tb/2)
data2 (3.83tb/2)