L.A. Noire fix for win 7 x64 and ntdll.dll crash reinstall

darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

L.A. Noire fix for win 7 x64 and ntdll.dll crash reinstall

Post by darknkreepy3# »

Update #3
It turns out that since I make games and mods, do a lot of photoshop work etc, I own a wacom tablet, a bamboo fun and touch. The driver from wacom adds a few HID device drivers and screen input layers that freak out the programming of rockstar's game, but not BF3 and L4D2 etc. I right clicked and disabled the drivers, and voila, the game works. For my circumstance, a full reinstall of the OS and driver tests revealed a few things.

1. Win7 updates from the first release, even the 7600 release so long ago, cause a firewall bug that stops L.A. Noire in it's tracks. It is different security measures, and Rockstar should have fixed that nonsense. Adding exceptions as listed to the firewall brought the game back.

2. The wacom bamboo drawing tablet drivers screwed up the abstraction of HID or input devices in microsoft's OS so that Rockstar's game itself got caught in a loop or lost because of the extra drivers. Disabling them while playing fixes the problem. Re-enabling them to do art and design is a simple non-reboot solution.

Rockstar is off their game here and they need better debuggers and less lazy tactics in their porting of software. They make excellent games, and L.A. Noire is SO worth all this work, but most of the people out there will just return the game and get something else. That is a shame.

Update #2
It stopped working again, firewall open, etc, and I thought, what is going on? Next up, directX, input devices, and surfaces etc...

I chose to uninstall my wacom bamoo driver for win7 x64, and then restarted, VOILA!

This is becoming a huge labor of love for this sim. Rockstar needs to get their act together.

Update #1
After installing all of microsoft's win7 x64 updates until 06-24-2012 EXCEPT for the malicious removal tool (maybe it would freak out with la noire), the game would no longer load and stayed still after the lanlauncher stared. I thought, ok, goto the start button and type "allow a program"...through windows firewall
I added these programs to the firewall exceptions

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\L.A. Noire
lanlauncher.exe
lanoire.exe
ypatcher.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club
renderer.exe
and then I ran it again, and voila, the game started again. It pays a lot to really get down and dirty to learn what makes the bugs happen with security and crossed .dll's code in win 7, or any OS for that matter.

Ok, I had the same problems with this game.

system A
some 68 based super usb3 pci-e3 motherboard. edit later.
i7-2600K
240gb mushkin ssd
560Ti 2gb EVGA card pci-e #1
quadro 1gb card pci-e #2
windows 7 x64 (later sp1 and all add ons loaded ontop over time)
mutliple drives, user account NOT in c:\users, but d:\users ...
3ds,cs5,plugins galore,demos of tons of software,trialware, etc, for 2d & 3d
apache server,mysql 5.x

system B (very similar)
Gigabyte X58-USB3
i7-950
256gb crucial ssd
560Ti 2gb PALIT card pci-e #1
9800GTX+ 512mb card pci-e #2
windows 7 x64 (later sp1 and all add ons loaded ontop over time)
mutliple drives, user account NOT in c:\users, but d:\users ...
3ds,cs5,plugins galore,demos of tons of software,trialware, etc, for 2d & 3d
apache server,mysql 5.x
I bought it from Gamefly and downloaded and installed it on system A.
It did not work. I got an ntdll.dll error.
I copied the installer from
my documents/gamefly/downloads/60648611/
[the entire folder]
I installed it on system B.
It did not work. Same ntdll.dll error.

I checked my system for simple bugs.
Installer corruption.
Update patches from ROCKSTAR'S website.
hacks from other places for steam updates (does NOT work, that is steam specific for a legit fix)
uninstalled .NET4.x no go.
uninstalled the game
changed it to
C:\lanoire
folder. no go.
installed new nvidia drivers for my geforce 560Ti 2gb from Palit and 9800 GTX+ 215mb. no go.
installed beta drivers. no go.

then, I just made an image of my hard drive (SSD) on system B and then deleted the partitons in the SSD boot drive. I also made a copy of the gamefly folder in my documents to another physical drive, my D: drive.

I installed win 7 x64 ultimate sp1 msdn
I added my motherboard intel chipset drivers
I added realtek lan support
I added renesas drivers from some french site with the newest and best drivers and firmware updates
I installed beta drivers for the 2 GPU cards (nvidia) 304.48-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta.exe
I restarted.
I ran the installer from the other pyhsical drive (D:) I saved the gamefly installers to (15gb installer for la noire)
After I ran the installer, I ran an patch I found on the web for the 'retail' version, 64MB
Patch_2382_02393_1.exe
Then I ran the game, created a social club account, and it restarted the game to update it.
It then found another downloadable patch which it automatically loaded to the game folder, 180MB

Patch_2393_12614_1.exe
, which it saved to the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\L.A. Noire
and it ran and updated it.

now, la noire works fine, and all is good. for the game. not for the 60+ programs I use daily to do sims, forensics, and game modding.

It should be fun to figure out why so many people have this problem with la noire and rockstar's initial installer and crash to ntdll.dll. The proof is in the pudding, a completely clean version of win7 x64 sp1 with base drivers installed worked amazingly. Something installed with all that commercial and trialware with games and game content systems caused a conflict somewhere and ntdll.dll is just a result, not the cause.

also installed in both systems that did NOT work
  • steam
    origin
    battlefield3
    from dust
    office 2007
    mbam 1.50
    flash player
    firefox 13.x
    all windows updates including defender
none of which are on this system that it works on currently. i think i will save an image of this system and then maybe add stuff to it and continue without going back to the old 98gb image of the OS. clean, new system. move the thunderbird acct, move the user folders back to physical D: to save data if a wipe out of C: is needed, etc.

I hope this helped. all those quirky things did not work on ANY website I tried. It is way way deeper than those old wive's tales. Good luck.