Site Admin

Installing Origin games other than default c drive BF3

Post by darknkreepy3# »

EA's origin games installs into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

[C]
[program files (x86)]
[Origin Games]

which is fine, until you have a SSD and dont' want to waste space on it and you can use an internal 2tb for game storage (caching is a wonderful thing in 2012). Ok, so, I thought, how about making a folder shared as a network drive letter and then put it in a folder on [C]? Not a bad idea, done before with certain bugs with DVD playback of folders of movies I have shot and edited (MP does NOT like that, internal copy protection but MPC and VLC are ok with it).

So, I found that windows and windows 7 x64 in this case has symbolic links. with these you can have soft or hard links.

Install the Origin game base in c:\program files (x86)\Origin and close the program.
Create a folder in the target REAL drive that is huge and not super expensive such as

D:\program files (x86)\Origin Games\
mklink in windows via the command prompt can do this with:
  • 1. make sure there is NO folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ named "Origin Games"
    2. make sure you create the D: or whatever letter drive with:
    3. D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\
    4. now run the following command prompt (as administrator)
Incorrect, notice no quotes in folder names with spaces

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /j C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games D:\Program Fil
es (x86)\Origin Games
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

Correct, spaced folder names enclosed in quotation marks

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games" "D:\Program
Files (x86)\Origin Games"
Junction created for C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games <<===>> D:\Program File
s (x86)\Origin Games

C:\Windows\system32>

I had a partitioned 500gb sata spinner drive as 250|250 c|d. I cut the origin games out of c and pasted into the folder structure in d. then I did the dirlinker process and voila. I didn't have to download or reinstall BF3 and it doesnt kill my SSD space. perfect.

it did download an update. this is not a bug, sometimes an update pops its head up. "preparing" will be seen until it is dl'd and ready.

enjoy.