Sony HVR-M10U settings for HDV capture to windows 7

tricks and tips making hdv less of a headache, which it already is compared to avchd formats.
darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

Sony HVR-M10U settings for HDV capture to windows 7

Post by darknkreepy3# »

I've noticed that the technology of firewire video products is about as crappily compatible as possible. This camera works on this pc, this apple, but not this one, and only if you do this, etc. Thankfully there are memory cards like sdhc and P2 these days, and the costs are going down (2010) to a reasonable replacement of tapes, horrible, terrible tapes. Dropped frames, magnetic failure, wetness, stickiness, mechanism jams.

To make matters worse, you really have to know your menu settings in the HVR-M10U so you can enter data. I sat reinstalling things in my pc and apple just to see why it was failing and not able to record from this unit.

1. is converts from hdv to dv (downsamples and converts) and an hdv capture program would see nothing when dv is sent to it.
2. most programs pc or apple cannot even get this thing to record and play at the same time (automated tape capture even). It's a crapshoot at best.

Here are the settings to make sure your HVR-M10U isn't stuck in crappy DV conversion mode... why would you dump down from HDV? It even takes less space than miniDV... groans.