sdhc problem formatting 16gb card shows up as 200mb

New bugs and hidden treasures figured out here
darknkreepy3#
Site Admin

sdhc problem formatting 16gb card shows up as 200mb

Post by darknkreepy3# »

So, I went to a forum wondering if maybe my sdhc card had just bit the dust, and I saw someone mention the HP format utility for usb. Funnily enough, it was on my desktop as I use it every now and then for work, and voila, 16gb available again. I had to remember that fat32 drive names had I think 8-12 character limit or the format would fail (quick format is fine).

I used a cheap $1 sdhc reader from china and it must have burnt out or the internal board must have bent from being used, shorted from pulling from a running usb port, who knows, it was $1. Anyway, sometimes I found that putting the sdhc into my canon vixia hf100 camcorder formatted it just fine. This time, though, since the camcorder couldn't format it, I thought it was physically toast.

Surely enough, it was just the lower part of the formatting that was jacked up from whatever. The proper tool being the HP format utility, and I was back in business, the header to the drive volume, some extra bits, the volume size or description, I am not totally sure, but it worked!